An early Thursday fire burned down a house in El Paso, Texas.

The family was almost trapped inside if it hadn’t been for their dog.

The famil’s dog started barking in order to wake them up. The family alerted the fire department.

Firefighters were quickly on the scene and in turn were able to rescue the family.

“The dog probably saved the lives of the owner and the two children. It is smart to make sure you have a smoke detector. At this time we are not sure if they had one. This is the time of year we ask people to change their batteries.”
Capt. Jay Willey, El Paso Fire Department