A Dallas family lost everything when fire ripped through their home around 5:30 a.m. Sunday.

The family was sound asleep when an electrical outlet caught fire in the 2600 block of Birmingham Avenue in South Dallas.

Clifford Brown and his mother Betty were asleep when the fire broke out. Then their family dog Lucy jumped on Betty’s bed.

“The dog woke my mom up,” said Clifford. “Then I heard the boom and thought someone had broken into the house.” He said he knew right away he had to rescue his 76-year-old mother.

“I was screaming and hollering for him, and he couldn’t get through. There was so much smoke,” said Betty.

The smoke and the intense heat made it nearly impossible to reach the bedroom.

“I had to go all the way around and snatch the bar door open,” said Clifford.

“When he jerked the door down, he fell on the sidewalk, and I fell in the yard,” said Betty. “I didn’t think he was going to get me up, but he said, ‘Oh yeah. I’m getting you out of there.'”

Not much was salvageable from the home. Only one picture of Betty’s grandson was saved.

The family did not have home owner’s insurance, but they say they have many family members in the area that can help them.