A 4-year-old Boston terrier is one lucky dog after a duplex was heavily damaged by fire in Vergennes Tuesday afternoon.

Firefighters said the fire started in the living room of one of the units near the high school but the cause appears to be accidental.

After nearly an hour of fighting the fire, firefighters found the dog named Toby, who had been in the burning building the whole time.

The five people who live at the duplex were left homeless.

As for Toby, he was checked out and was given a clean bill of health by a local vet.