Happy news about animals
A sleeping 12-year-old girl who was home alone fled a burning flat and then ran back in to save her cat.
A smoke alarm woke her after a car battery caught fire in the kitchen.
Kingston and Surbiton fire crews were called to the flat at Bramley House, Crescent Road, Kingston on Wednesday, August 1 at 1.18pm.
After safely evacuating the flat, the girl went back to retrieve her cat before a neighbour called the fire brigade.
She was taken to Kingston Hospital but later released.
The kitchen was totally destroyed and there was smoke damage to a bedroom and the bathroom.
Crew manager Brennan Healey, of Kingston fire station, said: “Because the girl was sleeping the smoke alarm was crucial – she is only here now because of it.”