As La Cañadan residents, Shannon Griffin and Jennifer Barke enjoyed a walk down one of the bridle paths near the 4200 block of Oakwood Avenue early Monday morning, when they heard the lone cry of a tiny kitten.

They discovered that the small “meow” was coming from a grey striped kitten stuck in a the top of a very tall tree.

Paul and Wendy Wyatt, who live next door to the bridle path and the tree, came to the rescue of the kitten.

The Wyatts had called the Los Angeles County Fire Department and were advised that a nearby station would be informed of the kitten’s dilemma and the captain would then decide if they wanted to send a truck out.

“It wasn’t normal policy [to send a truck out],” Paul said.

The Wyatts also called the Pasadena Humane Society and were instructed to place food and water at the bottom of the tree.

That ploy did not work on the little kitten because by the next morning it had climbed higher into the tree’s branches.

In the meantime, Griffin and Barke continued the walk around the neighborhood and met who turned out to be some Good Samaritans.

“We ran smack into these guys,” Griffin said.

The “guys” were workman with Pouk and Steinle Electrical Construction out of Riverside. They were on a job nearby and had an Ariel bucket truck, which was more than capable of reaching the stranded stray.

The four workers — Terry Poloncak, Ruben Rangel, Mike Paraska and foreman Mike Wagnon — didn’t hesitate to help.

They drove their truck over to the next block, near the tree. Paraska took the bucket up into the branches. At that time the Los Angeles County Fire Department, Station 82, drove up.

By that time, however, the workman had things well in hand.

Paraska brought the frightened feline back down to solid ground and into the gloved hands of Wagnon.

The LACFD stayed around until they were certain the kitten was safe.

Wagnon held the kitten tight, as it decided if it was more afraid of the tall tree than the crowd of people now encircling it.

Wagnon made certain that the little creature was not injured. The elated feeling of rescue soon came to the awkward feeling of who will now care for the orphaned kittened.

That question was quickly settled when Paraska, one of the rescuers, volunteered to take the kitten home as a birthday present for his wife.

“I called her to see if she received the flowers that I sent her, and then told her I had another surprise,” Paraska said.

Wendy Wyatt went to her home to retrieve a cat carrier and Paul held the kitten. After a few rather deep gouges into Paul’s hand, the little kitten was placed into the carrier and handed over to new Paraska, the new pet parent.

As the kitten and the workers got into the trucks and Paul went off to get some first aid crème for the kitty cuts, Griffin and Barke were pleased at the fact that they had all worked together to rescue the poor little creature.

“That’s just the type of community we live in,” they both said. “That’s why we love it here.”