Happy news about animals
By MICHELLE ROBINSON
A Birkenhead home narrowly excaped going up in flames thanks to the instincts of a cat.
The male occupant of the Onewa Rd property was alerted by his cat to a fire that started in a wall cavity, Birkenhead fire officer Grant Mitcheson says.
The Birkenhead fire crew attended the blaze that was caused by an electrical fault at 11am on January 26, Mr Mitcheson says.
With no smoke alarms in the building and smoke having been diverted outside, it was the cat that alerted the occupant.