Fire officials are crediting a working smoke detector for helping to alert a woman to a blaze in her home Monday evening in Brandon, allowing her to safely escape the building with her baby.

The fire, mostly contained to a bedroom in the home on Van Cortland Road, was reported around 6:20 p.m. Monday. More than 30 firefighters from Brandon and Pittsford helped in putting out the blaze. No one was hurt. A cat, the pet of the woman who lived in the home, was found after the fire and taken to a veterinarian.

“(The rescue squad) took care of the cat, looked at the cat, and shipped it off to the vet,” Fire Chief Robert Kilpeck said. “I’m guessing the cat is probably going to survive.”

The cause of the fire is not suspicious.

Investigators are looking at the possibility that a problem with a chimney in the home may have led to the blaze, Kilpeck said.

“It looks like the fire came out the base of the chimney,” the fire chief said. “There’s an oil furnace in there, but she was running the wood stove. It appears that we’ve got a crack on the very bottom brick on that chimney.”

The fire took place in a guest house to a home on Van Cortland Road, about one mile up a dirt road from the intersection of McConnell Road. The guest home, which has one apartment, is about 40 feet from the main residence on the property owned by the Cyr family, fire officials said.

“We wanted to keep the fire away from the main building, which we did,” Kilpeck said.

The woman renting the guest home was alerted to the fire by a smoke detector and called 911, safely escaping the building with her baby, Kilpeck said.

“The lady and the baby were in another part of the house and the smoke detector is what alerted them to the fire,” Kilpeck said. “She actually called, using her phone from her apartment. Then the owner of the property came over and tried to put it out with a fire extinguisher, but there was too much fire for a fire extinguisher.”

Kilpeck said flames were shooting out a part of the wood-framed building when firefighters arrived at the scene. Firefighters quickly had the blaze under control, confining fire damage mainly to the bedroom area where the fire started.

“(Firefighters) had it knocked down within seven or eight minutes. Then it was just overhauling after that,” the fire chief said.

Kilpeck said because of the smoke damage throughout the home as well as fire damage to the bedroom, the home cannot be lived in. He said he wasn’t sure where the woman and her child would be staying.

“If they need help, I’ll be getting a hold of the Red Cross,” the fire chief said. “Nobody got hurt, that’s the big thing. They build buildings every day.”